Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Oh what a night.

It was a long night, but worth every second.

On Monday afternoon, I found out the Barenaked Ladies would be performing an intimate concert at the new Borders in the Century City Mall on Tuesday evening. Eric got there early and secured our place in line, but even by the time I got there, the crowd was still small and compact. It was a dream come true. The guys played a 45 minute set which included some treats from their back catalogue and selections from their new album. And the best part? They did it all about five feet in front of me! There was an old meme on here somewhere that listed the five people that I wanted to meet. It was a hard list to come up with as I have already met so many of my crushes and heroes. But now, I can cross off the delicious Ed Robertson. I told him I was his big gay fan for the night and he puckered up for the camera. He also told me about a Prince song on the Black Album where he says something about Bob. Note to self: must research this as he said it to me as a joke and I didn't get it (mostly because I was so tongue tied). But I did get this super pic:


Steve's voice is so amazing. I couldn't get a grip on his mood last night. He either didn't want to be there or has the most dry sense of humor ever. Either way, he was still hilarious and sounded terrific.






In between songs, the guys each read passages from random books. Ed was first up. He chose Word Freak and I not so accidentally caught it all on video.



Steve's was a brilliant reading of Internet Firewalls for Dummies (or something like that). With a frenzied beat and his quick read, he could've taken his skills to Eight Mile.




Tyler read a hilarious (and long) excerpt from Jackie Collins new book...



I not so accidentally took more pics of Ed than anyone else. I can't help it. He makes me glow.



Eric tried to play it cool, but he was just as excited to be in front of them as I was...



Then, if you can imagine it, Eric, Matt and I headed down to Houston's for some dinner. I needed sustenance, because Matt and I still had to head up to the Viper Room to watch my friend sing at 11pm.




Say what you will, but he's got that rock star thing. He is so fantastic when he hits that stage. His voice was in such great shape and he knows how to work the room. And he closed the evening with Bohemian Rhapsody... and yes, it really was that good. I'm going to go see him on Broadway in the Wedding Singer. Christa, get the blow up bed ready, I am thinking early November. AND when I do, I am going to make sure that I am not smiling in my pic with him. I will instead do the trademark Constantine pout!

I have to really thank Eric for getting there and making it happen and Matt for capturing my perfect pic with Ed. I was kind of a pain in the ass making sure he got it!

and now I need a nap... xox

3 comments:

Sizzle said...

great pics! and you, mister, need to rest. what is with these late nights? oh who am i kidding? you will never change. ;)

B Merrick said...

I know, I know. Believe me, there were two times it was a bit touch and go. I had to use my inhaler during BNL and I had a total coughing fit walking up the stairs of the Viper Room. Birthday dinner tonight and then early to bed... Thanks for caring though :-)

Anonymous said...

You're still having trouble with your health? I'm sorry to hear that. However, I'm glad to see it's not holding you back.