Friday, September 22, 2006

Madonna Explains Crucifix Scene


Posted: 22 September 2006 - From Warner Brothers Press Release -source

In response to the indecision by NBC whether or not to broadcast Madonna's crucifix Live To Tell performance, Warner Brothers have released this statement from Madonna explaining the reasons behind this segment of the show:

As Madonna's Confessions Tour comes to an end in Japan this week, the artist has released a statement regarding the much talked about Crucifixion scene.
'I am very grateful that my show was so well received all over the world. But there seems to be many misinterpretations about my appearance on the cross and I wanted to explain it myself once and for all.'
'There is a segment in my show where three of my dancers 'confess' or share harrowing experiences from their childhood that they ultimately overcame. My 'confession' follows and takes place on a Crucifix that I ultimately come down from. This is not a mocking of the church. It is no different than a person wearing a Cross or 'Taking Up the Cross' as it says in the Bible.'
'My performance is neither anti-Christian, sacrilegious or blasphemous. Rather, it is my plea to the audience to encourage mankind to help one another and to see the world as a unified whole. I believe in my heart that if Jesus were alive today he would be doing the same thing.'
'My specific intent is to bring attention to the millions of children in Africa who are dying every day, and are living without care, without medicine and without hope. I am asking people to open their hearts and minds to get involved in whatever way they can.'
The song ends with a quote from the Bible's Book of Matthew:
For I was hungry and you gave me food. I was naked and you gave me clothing. I was sick and you took care of me and God replied, 'Whatever you did for the least of my brothers....you did it to me.'
'Please do not pass judgment without seeing my show.'
Madonna's 'Confessions Tour - Live From London' is scheduled to air on NBC this November. NBC has not confirmed whether they will include this portion of the show in their broadcast.

No comments: