Wednesday, August 25, 2004

A contemplative and joyous journey in New York- Part Three

Monday

11:30am (maybe even noon)- Someone stirs and my body decides maybe it is time to do the same. I hear Christa from the other room asking if I want to watch George Michael's Behind the Music. I mumble and grab my covers off the kitchen floor and move to the couch. Sure enough, we start watching BTM.

11:45am- Christa asks Ben and I if we want the best breakfast sandwiches ever. Of course I do, but getting up sounds like a chore. No worries, they get delivered.

2:00pm- Have finished watching BTM, Bands Reunited with Berlin and George Michael on Oprah. Still wrapped in my blankets on the couch. Ben has finally had enough and is in the shower. Me, I am wondering if I can have another breakfast sandwich. I decide to blog for a minute.

4:00pm- Finally make it out of the house to visit the Magnolia Bakery where Christa and I indulge in the most delicious cupcakes. I am off to Christian's house for a visit, so I get two for he and Nikki and then two for Lorijean and Gabe before the concert.

5:15pm- Finally arrive at Christian's on the lower East Side. Was supposed to be there at 4. Fortunately, I have cupcakes to make up for my tardiness and plan to make the most of my one hour (must meet Lorijean and Gabe at the China Club at 6:30). It will be a rushed visit, but it is good to at least have some quality alone time.

5:16pm- The buzzer rings and I think it is Ben. So Christian just let's him in. I begin to set my bags down and take off my sunglasses.

5:17pm- In walks Phil and his five friends from Toronto, each carrying different forms of alcohol and each still drunk from the bender the night before. So much for quality alone time. We all head to the roof and begin grilling burgers. Finally, something besides pizza and cupcakes.

6:10pm- Nikki gets home, already not in the greatest mood after a rehearsal and it is about to get worse when she gets up on the roof. So we spend our 10 minutes of bonding in the kitchen before I head out the door. Suddenly wishing I had the ability to be in two places at once. Alas, meeting Lorijean uptown wins out.

6:40pm- Lorijean and Gabe are at a bar near the China Club (J.R.'s) getting some food, so I accidentally have a couple of vodka tonics. As we go to leave, my foot gets wedged into the brass foot rail. Literally. Embarrassed, I am envisioning that the fire department will have to come and dismantle the bar. Fortunately, Gabe is able to help me out of it.

7:20pm- We go into the China Club where a local radio station is hosting a private concert for Josh Kelly and Gavin Degraw. I am in heaven. I had no idea Josh was playing and I love him. To celebrate, I have 2 vodka martinis.

7:45pm- I meet Gavin's parents. So sweet. So proud.

8:15pm- Gavin puts on another kick ass concert. The energy is so much better than the night before because it is a small club and the volume is full tilt. Makes a big difference when he rocks out to Chemical Party and I Don't Want to Be.

8:45pm- Debbie walks by and I throw my arms around her with a big thank you for the passes. Once again, THANK YOU DEBBIE!!!!

10:00pm- The show is over and Gavin is signing shirts at the booth. Lorijean and I stare in disbelief as his turn as a rock star is in full bloom with girls clamouring to get close to him. But with all of their effort, nothing feels better than when he spots us and flashes us that high watt grin and thanks us for coming. "Be Good Bob". It makes me realize he doesn't know me very well, or maybe he is just commanding me because he knows me too well. Either way, Lorijean and I leave again in a state of bliss. Aknowledging how special our friendship is and how great life is, and how even though we don't get to see each other often, we always make it memorable. To commemorate the moment, we cross the street to get another slice of pizza.

10:15pm- Phil calls from Christian's. They are still there, aren't slurring too badly and wants us to come back. So LJ and I hop in a cab and head back to the lower East Side.

The events that happened from that point on are less significant in what actually happened and incredibly significant in what went through my mind. Everyone was drunk except Lorijean, Nikki and me. They have a great rooftop deck that sits on top of the New York skyline. If you stared into the sky long enough, stars began to appear. The 5 guys from Toronto peppered the evening with the kind of comedy only a Canadian can. I was excited to have someone to talk endlessly about the Barenaked Ladies with. When everyone was downstairs making more drinks, Lorijean and I had the roof to ourselves. As I searched for the stars, I couldn't stop thinking about how lucky and fortunate I am. How great my friends are. How extremely gifted I am in my adventures to experience people sharing themselves and their lives so wholy with me.

I thank you, my friends from New York, especially Christa for opening your home and making it feel so cozy and welcoming, for allowing me and my friends to come to your city and make us feel at home. Believe it or not, there are so many detailed experiences in my heart that happened this trip that I haven't even shared. But I know that those of you who were there, know those moments and will remember them in your heart with me.

Thank you for one of my best trips to New York ever, and I look forward, as always, to my next big adventure in the big apple...

No comments: