Thursday, April 27, 2006

Which came first?


Today I was stuck in traffic on the 405. It was the kind of ridiculous bumper to bumper freeway traffic that you feel is embellished when you are watching it in a movie and thinking, "there is no way it could ever be that bad." Nine and three-quarters years in Los Angeles, I can assure you, it absolutely can be.

Today's item of note that caught my eye was the man in the car to my right who was filling out a crossword puzzle- not from the newspaper, but from an actual book of puzzles. This struck me. He has grown so used to this traffic, that he has now brought games on the road with him to occupy his otherwise wasted time. Then as I continued to survey my surroundings, I noticed a woman putting on her make-up in the rearview mirror and three vehicles with drivers all engaged in passionate cell phone conversations and oblivious to being on the road.

The whole thing made me wonder... What came first? Was it the traffic that came along and caused us to find other ways to cope with the wasted time OR have we created all of the traffic in our attempt to try and fit as much into every second of our on-the-go day as possible?

In case you were wondering, I don't bring anything to do when I am stuck in traffic. I just spend a lot of time in my mind overthinking everything!

1 comment:

Sizzle said...

and singing, don't forget the singing!

i think you might be onto something... we have probably created it with all of our gogogo, dododo mentality.

i need a massage after reading this post.

xxoo
s