Sunday, July 11, 2004

I did a lot of crying this afternoon...

I feel so vulnerable this evening. A little lost. A little sad. A little angry. A little disgusted. Extremely frustrated. I don't want to get on a soapbox and turn anyone off. We all have opinions. The greatest news is that we live in the home of the free and the land of the brave, so we are allowed to share and express them. We don't have to agree with them, but we are allowed the freedom to share them. And when someone has a good one worth sharing, I am so thankful they feel the confidence to share. Because a good opinion can spark a good conversation. And dialogue can be a magical thing.

Today I sat in a theater and cried off and on during the duration of the new film Fahrenheit 9/11. My opinion that I want to share with you is this: go and see it. No matter what you feel about Bush, or the war, or Michael Moore. No matter what you already know or think you know or know you don't know. If you are adamant about not wanting to put another 10 cents into Michael Moore's pocket (again, because you are entitled to your own opinion), pay to see White Chicks and then sneak into F9/11. And if you want, email me and I will send you a synopsis of White Chicks or you can just pay and go see it again (think of it as keeping me employed).

Again, I am not going to get on my soap box and tell you the "whys" and reviews and reasons you have to see this movie. Personally, I pulled a lot of information out of the movie that is currently affecting my core. And no, before you judge without having seen it, it is not propaganda being lobbed by Moore. The footage speaks for itself, with or without Moore's narration.

We live in a pretty great and amazing place here in the US... Shouldn't we be using our wealth and celebrity as a country to help our neighbors and friends who are less fortunate, instead of stepping on them and keeping them down just to make ourselves feel more powerful?

Again, me just having my own free opinions and questions...

p.s. I will be dropping a check in the mail tomorrow for $20 to the Democratic National Fund. It is the least I can do.

p.s.s. If you have seen the movie and are filled with questions and need for more dialogue, I found some really great things on Michael Moore's website. Also, if you click here to the right where it says comments, you too can share your voice and let me know what you think either about the movie or what I have written...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not usually political, but... by Toddy B

So here's the thing. I'm not terribly political. Ok, maybe I am, a little. But, since I tend to skew conservative, I must be a self-hater, right? I mean, how's it possible to be conservative and gay? It's possible because the word conservative has been taken over by the far right, religious conservatives. Regardless, take a look at this brilliant site, take one of these posters, and put it up somewhere it can be seen. http://www.turnout.org/involved/action/index.aspx
Be on the right side of the future of human rights.