Tuesday, July 27, 2004

A Home At The End Of The World With No Ants

I already tried this once today, but the power went out at the office and I am now forced to start over from scratch... I am apologizing in advance for my wandering dribble... I have many thoughts running through my mind today, so I will just share them as I fumble across them...

First off, today I finished one of the best books I have read in quite awhile. It is called "A Home At The End Of The World" by Michael Cunningham. For some reason it echoed through me. My past, my present, my decisions, my flaws. My yearning for love, to be loved, to have a lover. It was a really great book that I picked up on a whim and couldn't have expected to devour like I did. Aren't those the best books to stumble upon?

Since the movie is in limited release in NY and LA, I drug Ben and Adam to it. I didn't cry like I did this morning as I finished the book in bed, but I am happy to say that Colin Farrell did a superb job in a very chewy character. It was also fun to see Wendy Crewson grace the screen with her magic. I still recommend the book before the movie...

The ant saga has taken a turn. I had an anonymous person post on here yesterday! I was beginning to wonder if anyone was reading, but I have made no nevermind and have continued to post away without regard. My poster sent me to the RAID site where I was schooled in the various ants and different treatments to remove them. When I got in last night, I was armed finally with proper Ant disposal. I had bought spray, traps and an electric sonar repeller. I placed traps on the new masses that were coming out of my kitchen sink and bath tub (oh yes, I had a double attack last night!), dropping them on the crowds like the house landing on the Wicked Witch of the East. It took such will power to just let them roam as I went to bed, but the box promised that they would take the bait back to the nest and they would be killed at the source.

Sure enough, tonight, there were only a small smattering around the kitchen sink and this morning when I woke up, the shower was indeed ant free. I am suddenly religious. Pray with me that this will be the last of the ant posts!

Gavin re-released his solo album today with a second disc of all the songs in a stripped and redone version. Not to be missed is the bonus track, the Sam Cooke classic "A Change Is Gonna Come". I know, I know... Gavin! Gavin! Gavin!

Have I mentioned Neal's Art Show is coming up on August 24th??

Last Saturday I was in San Diego for what was supposed to be a relaxing weekend by the pool with cocktails. Instead, I was dropped in the middle of Nerdville (a term to be used in an endearing form) as it happened to be Comi-Con, the world's largest comic book convention. You have heard of the intensity with which people attend a Star Trek convention? Imagine having the fans of every genre of comic and science fiction in a 1x1 mile radius. Storm Troopers walked the streets freely as well as aliens, spidermen and Romulans (see, even I know a thing or two about Star Trek. When not punching kitties, Rory taught us that Romulan Ale is illegal in the Federation. Yes, it was that kind of weekend). And of course, I ended up at dinner with Hayden Christensen, also known as the young Anakan Skywalker, or more commonly known as Darth Vader. I may as well have been in downtown Rome eating pizza with the pope. The whole thing got me to thinking how bizarre this person's life must be. To want to be an actor and to seek such a coveted role, and to step into the shoes of one of pop cultures most famous villains. Will he ever be taken as a serious actor or has rising to the absolute top on the first time out be the best beginning and the saddest end? As even the busboys were having their picture taken with him, I knew I needed to get out of  Nerdville and return to the sanctuary of my home. 

Last night I watched Bill Clinton speak at the Democratic Convention. Oh it made me ache for a new leader. It reminds me of a metaphor a gal by the name of Better Midler used recently. She spoke of how we are currently in a bit of a cloud. Fear and uncertainty run rampant in these trying times. Everyone has an opinion. Some have become afraid to share them, some should just keep their mouths shut, but we are each entitled. The majority of us don't want to talk about it for the fear of talking about it might make all of the fear a reality.  But underneath all of the fear and chaos, there is hope. Hope in knowing that in time we are going to be okay. That we are in the need and want of change. That we will endure and come out the other side okay. With hope and faith grows courage and change. Sort of like when "in the Spring, the seed under the snow, grows and becomes the rose"...

I warned you my thoughts today were random...

I think tomorrow I will write a poem...

for now, it is time for bed...


No comments: