Friday, May 19, 2006

Let's Get It On


It is 1:13 in the morning. I am beat and need to go to bed. But before I do, I have to uphold a long standing tradition, even if I am officially changing the media with the times...

Many moons ago (about 6 years ago), my friend Lori Jean introduced Erica and I to this scrawny little kid from New York who was playing the piano and singing in New York's Upper West Side. By the time he took the stage around midnight, we were drunk and rowdy and in no mood to be introduced to new music.

Somehow, he had us at the first note of an old Sam Cooke song about tasting as sweet as cherry pie and if you could've found anyone left with breath, you could've heard their whisper as he was gently delivering Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah. I was in awe from the moment I met him.

Ever since that night, when any of us would see him perform (and as the crowds swelled bigger and bigger) we have always called any of us who weren't there and held up the phone during a certain song. Well tonight, I was only there with my friend Sabrina and now that he has so many fans, I would have had to have held the phone up the entire show (not to mention if you notice the black and white shot I took tonight, he is definitely no longer scrawny!)... So instead, I shot this 24 second video of an artist I am totally proud to have watched skyrocket from the beginning and still call a friend... Gavin DeGraw

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love him!!!